The Way of Council is a central part of what Illuman does to promote healthier masculinity and “inner work that makes a difference in the world.” If you’ve ever participated in this practice, you’ve hopefully experienced good Council Stokers—i.e., the leaders who facilitate the Council practice.
While anyone can lead Council with some minimal resources (see the previous article), there’s an art to being an excellent Stoker. Developing this skill is easy to learn but requires practice, especially in getting out of your own way.
For those interested in going deeper into this core practice and developing this skill, we will be offering a six-session series on The Art of Being a Stoker beginning after the New Year. These 90-minute sessions will be offered on the first Saturday of each month at 9am Pacific/Noon Eastern. They will be led by Dave MacQuarrie, one of the original instigators of Illuman’s Virtual Councils.
The schedule is as follows:
- July 1, 2023 – Session One – The Intentions of Council
- August 5, 2023 – Session Two – Participant Roles
- September 2, 2023 – Session Three – Creating Sacred Space
- October 7, 2023 – Session Four – Themes and Prompts
- November 4, 2023 – Session Five – Managing Difficulties
- December 2, 2023 – Session Six – Loose Ends
All are welcome: the curious, first-timers, and repeaters. Even if you can’t make it to every session, it is okay to join the ones that you can.
If interested, please contact Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.
You must be logged in to post a comment.